SDL Trados Studio 2017 is the latest version of the SDL Trados Studio product family. It provides a range of new innovative capabilities to enable you to get more from your existing resources than ever before.
Be more productive, work more easily and flexibly, allowing Studio to take on the hard work so you can focus on what’s important.
SDL Trados Studio 2017 is built on the same open platform as SDL Trados Studio 2015 and uses the same bilingual file, translation memory and termbase formats.
SDL Trados Studio is available in different editions to suit any user requirement - from freelance translators to large global corporations.
Discover new ways to work faster and get more from your assets than ever before with the next generation of translation productivity tools in SDL Trados Studio 2017.
Studio 2017 introduces two key new innovations, with transformational technology for both translation memory and machine translation that will give you the best possible match in all everyday translation scenarios.
SDL Trados Studio 2017 also includes SDL MultiTerm 2017.
Discover more about the new features in Studio 2017!
- SDL Trados Studio is more than just a product; it's an integrated platform of translation, terminology management, review, project management and machine translation solutions
- Largest translation community in the world with over 250,000 translation professionals already using our solutions
- Local direct presence in 15 key markets to better serve you combined with a wide network of over 50 resellers to ensure we are always close to you
- Access to the SDL AppStore and the ability to extend Studio functionality to provide tailored solutions to meet your needs in terms of capabilities, scalability and budget
- Widest support for industry file formats and third party translation environments
- Extensive free education opportunities and seminars delivered at more than 20 cities around the world
- Webinars and web-based resource center and local seminars
- Support infrastructure of a successful global organization to ensure stability and confidence
- SDL Trados Studio is one of the key components of an unrivalled range of language technology solutions which can scale with your business needs
SDL Trados Studio is available in three different versions: Starter, Freelance and Professional. The reason behind having separate versions is that freelance translators do not usually require all the functionality within the full Professional license such as working on a company network.
View the comparison table to see the different functionality between the different versions.
SDL Trados Studio 2017 supports Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
As a minimum requirement, we recommend an Intel or compatible CPU-based computer with 2 GB RAM and a screen resolution of 1024x768.
For optimum performance, we recommend 4 GB RAM and a recent Intel or compatible CPU.
Note that SDL Trados Studio 2017 no longer supports Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista. The reason behind this is that we moved to Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 that no longer runs on Windows XP/Vista.
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance will work on a work group based network (such as a home wireless network), but cannot be used on domain-based networks. If you wish to work on both work group and domain-based networks, then you will need to purchase SDL Trados Studio 2017 Professional.
- A work group based network (also known as a 'peer-to-peer' network) is two or more computers that are networked together. No one machine is in charge, and security and other settings have to be made on each individual computer.
- A domain-based network is where networked computers (either servers or clients) have a hierarchy. Security settings are determined on the domain controllers (servers) and each machine (client) is authenticated by a server when logging on.
The SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance license allows you to activate the license on one PC, if you wish to activate your license on a second PC, for example a laptop, you will need to purchase or upgrade to the SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance Plus version. The additional PC activation is the only difference between the two versions.
Until 31st October 2016: You can upgrade at the special upgrade pricing from Studio 2011, 2014 and 2015.
After 31st March 2017: You will be able to upgrade from Studio 2014 and Studio 2015. The upgrade path from Studio 2011 will be closed.
Once you complete the upgrade process to Studio 2017, your original license will be automatically be removed from your SDL Account*. If you want to retain both versions, you should consider purchasing a full license instead of an upgrade.
*Note: SDL Trados Studio Freelance edition users only - When upgrading to Studio 2017 Freelance editions, you can continue to use your legacy licence on your computer alongside Studio 2017 until you have to change computer, attempt to reinstall or reactivate the software, re-image the HDD or upgrade your operating system. Once the legacy license is inactive, it cannot be reactivated and you will no longer be able to run the legacy version alongside Studio 2017.Should you wish to retain the legacy license, you would need to purchase a new license. If you need further advice, please contact our friendly Customer Experience Team.
The upgrade process is the same for all users owning a single or network license(s).
If you already have Studio 2011/2014/2015 and you upgrade to Studio 2017, you need to:
- Deactivate your current SDL Trados Studio 2011/2014/2015 license(s):
Go to your SDL Trados Studio application. Click on Help > Product Activation > Deactivate
- Upgrade your license from your SDL Account:
- Login to your SDL Account and go to the Licenses section.
- On the left hand side you should see 'Upgrades' available, marked with a yellow arrow icon. Click on the icon and you will be able to see the Upgrades page.
- Click on the 'Upgrade' button to process the license upgrade. If you have several licenses, please mind that you need to choose the number of user licenses which you wish to upgrade.
- A new licensing code will be generated
- Activate your Studio 2017:
Copy the new licensing code and paste it in the Studio 2017 application to activate it.
Note: Customers upgrading their SDL Trados Studio Freelance Edition to Studio 2017 Freelance who don’t deactivate their license can continue to run the Studio 2011/2014/2015 application alongside Studio 2017. Your previous version (2011/2014/2015) will be marked as inactive in your SDL Account and will be automatically removed if, for any reason, the license is deactivated.
Yes! SDL Trados Studio 2017 is compatible with Studio 2014 and Studio 2015. Furthermore SDL Trados Studio 2017 will enable you to open TTX, ITD files and old Trados Word bilingual files, as well as use translation memories from older versions of SDL Trados. It also features support for industry standards such as TMX (for translation memories), TBX (for terminology databases) and also XLIFF (as a file format for translation). Extended file type support is also available via the SDL AppStore for third party formats, such as Wordfast.
|Studio 2014/2015 Translation Memory (*.sdltm)||Studio 2014/2015 (*.SDLXLiff)||Legacy TMs (SDLX and Trados 2007)||TTX||ITD||Word Bilingual|
|Open||Yes||Yes||Upgrade through wizard or read through app store plugins||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Save / Export||Yes||Yes||Export through TMX, TM Management app and various other apps available through the SDL AppStore||Yes (if the source is ttx)||Yes (if the source is ITD)||Yes (if the source is bilingual doc)|
|Create||Yes||Yes||Only through the legacy applications||Through TTXIt app – available free on the SDL AppStore or use Legacy Converter app for enabling legacy workflows.||No, only through SDLX provided as part of SDL Trados 2007 Suite||No, only through SDL Trados 2007 Suite. Or use Legacy Converter for enabling legacy workflows|
Summary of Server Compatibility
|SDL Trados GroupShare TM (TM Server 2015)||SDL Trados GroupShare Projects (Project Server 2015)||SDL Trados GroupShare Terminology (MultiTerm Server 2015)||SDL Trados GroupShare 2017|
|SDL Trados Studio 2017||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
You will still be able to save TTX files which can be used to update legacy translation memories (which are how a good majority of our users update their final TMs). You will also be able to export the new translation memory format into a TMX file format, which can then be imported into older versions of SDL Trados.
With SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance and Freelance Plus, it is possible to use SDL AutoSuggest when translating, provided that an SDL AutoSuggest dictionary is supplied to you by somebody who can create a dictionary.
To create an SDL AutoSuggest dictionary you either need SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on or SDL Trados Studio Professional. With either it is possible to create SDL AutoSuggest dictionaries.
SDL MultiTerm is a terminology management tool which is included with SDL Trados Studio 2017. It provides one central location to store and manage terminology. It ensures consistent and high-quality content from source through to translation.
SDL AppStore is the online app store for SDL Trados Studio and SDL MultiTerm.
- Download apps to extend the functionality of your SDL software - Downloading an app is easy. Just click on the download button, sign into your SDL Account and follow the installer instructions, it's as simple as that.
- Join the SDL AppStore Developer Program - If you have developer experience then you can download our Software Development Kit (SDK) and build your own apps for your internal use or to add to the SDL AppStore.