History of the University of Palermo
• The history of University of Palermo dates back to 1806 when Ferdinand III of Bourbon, King of Naples and the Two Sicilies, transformed the Palermo Academy of Studies into a university.
• Two centuries later, the University of Palermo is a consolidated cultural, scientific, and didactic presence throughout central western Sicily. Consisting of 12 faculties and 80 departments, it covers the most important fields of contemporary scientific and technological knowledge.
• There are currently 200 degree courses available, and some 50 masters and specialization courses for specific professional training. The Summer School “Translation and Computer Tools CAT, internationalization, localization and globalization”
• The Summer School is a two week intensive course set up by Professor Antonino Di Sparti and Marco Sajeva, lecturer at the University of Palermo. It is delivered by international teachers and professionals, and has been designed to provide students with the opportunity to communicate with translation professionals and gain valuable industry knowledge from different points of view including, cultural, communicative, marketing, sales and legal.
• Students have the opportunity to achieve two recognized qualifications: the SDL TRADOS Certification and the university’s Certificate in Translation and CAT Tools.
• The first week of the course is dedicated to teaching students about the core functionalities of SDL Trados software and how it can help increase work efficiency and productivity. The second week is devoted to lectures given by professionals from partner universities, “Politehnica” University of Timisoara, University of Salzburg and Leeds Metropolitan University.
SDL TRADOS Certification exam results
• The University of Palermo recognises the importance and need of using market leading SDL Trados software, as part of its degree course “LxWeb - Modern languages for the Web” taught by Professor Antonino Di Sparti.
• Participants of the Summer School include doctors (PhDs), doctorate students, university students (2nd level degree courses) and professional translators.
• 38 students took the SDL TRADOS Certification exam for level 1 and 100% of students passed.
• 3 students who sent their curriculum vitaes just after becoming SDL TRADOS Certified were contacted by employers in less than 24 hours.
• Another international student who passed the SDL TRADOS Certification exam was headhunted to join an international master’s course about translation.
• It is clear that the SDL TRADOS Certification qualification is considered the translation industry standard.
The Future with SDL
• The second edition of the Summer School will include an ‘SDL Trados laboratory’, which so far has stimulated a very successful response. The University of Palermo recognizes the value in working with SDL and will continue to grow its relationship with the organization through future projects.
You can visit the University of Palermo’s website at http://www.cat.unipa.it/
Biography on Marco Sajeva, lecturer at University of Palermo
• Marco Sajeva is an engineer specialized in web development and e-learning. He is also a Doctor (PhD) in “Dynamic forms of web communication and education”.
• He lectures at the Humanity Faculty of the University of Palermo and he is the founder and director of VISIONI: a firm of professionals in ICT, and consultant for the main Italian Universities and Research Centres.
• Marco has lectured for the course of “Advanced Languages for the Web” and for the Masters course of Journalism and ICT since the year 2000. He is also a member of IEEE, AICA, ISOC, ESCTAIC and of the SIAARTI ICT task force.
• His teaching areas include learning technologies, web mastery, network management, communication technologies and new media. He is the designer and developer of the webTV project for the University of Palermo, and is the author of more than 140 articles and 2 books.